Premier Musical Theatre Company (Ages 13 - 18)
Director / Choreographer
Kathleen Sullivan, Music Director
Have you ever known a girl who wanted something so badly that she tried too hard to get it? Meet Charity, the girl who wants to be loved so much that she has lost sight of who she is. Charity sings, dances, laughs and cries her way through romances with the “animal magnetism” hero, the “ultra-chic continental” hero, and the “impossible-to believe-but-he's-better than nothing” type hero. Her world is the all too real world of Times Square, and the people who pass through her world are as deceptively charming a group as ever swept across any stage. From her cynical, hard-core trio of girlfriends at the dance hall, to the phony evangelist, the Coney Island “fun people,” the Central Park “strollers” and the YMHA “self-improvers,” every character is interesting.
This is a bright and sophisticated show in every sense. Cy Coleman has captured the rhythms and sounds, and Dorothy Fields the vernacular and fun of New York. It’s a comedy in every sense of the word. Neil Simon has a particular talent for looking at the truly amusing side of life. It’s a dancing show too, with great opportunity for use of dramatic movement.
Wonderful musical numbers include Big Spender, If My Friends Could See Me Now, Too Many Tomorrows, There’s Gotta Be Something Better Than This, I’m a Brass Band and Baby, Dream Your Dream.
Book by Neil Simon
Music by Cy Coleman
Lyrics by Dorothy Fields
Based on an original screenplay by Federico Fellini, Tullio Pinelli and Ennio Plaiano
- Friday, November 21 at 7:30pm
- Saturday, November 22 at 2pm & 7:30pm
- Tickets are $20
- Tickets can be purchased from our secure, online ticket vendor, Brown Paper Tickets (a small service fee will be applied). Tickets will be.available soon.
- Tickets can also be purchased from the James Armstrong Theatre Box Office at (310) 781-7171
- Group discount available for youth organizations such as scouts, teams, classrooms, etc. Call (424) 262-9722 for further information.
- Open to students ages 13 - 18; no experience necessary.
- There is no audition fee.
- Make-up auditions and callbacks start at 1pm, Saturday, September 13, 2014
- Audition Location: First Baptist Church of Palos Verdes, 28 Mocassin Lane, Rolling Hills Estates; Click here for map
- Bring a song of your choice. Sheet music is strongly preferred by our music director; however, music on CD or MP3 is acceptable. No a cappella please.
- Be prepared to learn a short dance number; wear appropriate shoes.
- Please bring a completed Audition Form, signed and dated by you and your parent (if you are under age 18)
- Click here for Audition Form
- Tuition is $595, including costume fees. Optional items available for purchase include tickets, personal and business ads, souvenir t-shirts, jackets, DVDs and professional photos.
- Tuition is due on the first day of rehearsal. Installment payments can be arranged on request.
- Limited financial need based scholarships are available. To request an application, please send an email to email@example.com
- Click here for Registration Packet
- Rehearsal Information:
- First rehearsal is Saturday, September 20, 1 - 4pm
- Rehearsals are Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6 - 9pm and Saturdays from 1 - 4pm. Students may not be called to every rehearsal, depending on the scenes they are in. Note: Rehearsal schedule subject to change; sometimes additional rehearsals are added.
- Rehearsal location: First Baptist Church of Palos Verdes, 28 Moccasin Lane, Rolling Hills Estates; Click here for map.
- Tech rehearsals are Tuesday, November 18 thru Thursday, November 20 at the James Armstrong Theatre in Torrance. Call time is usually 5pm - 9pm, subject to change.
- If late or unable to attend rehearsal, please call a SBC representative at (424) 262-9722.